Saturday, March 19, 2005

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Brian finds great pleasure in working on projects. By projects, I am referring to physical "building"-type projects, much like repairing or even building bicycles. I think he finds a peace, or serenity, in it that he doesn't find elsewhere.

I have begun to understand, and even appreciate, this myself. It is much like cooking - you have something concrete to foucs on; a rational process that requires your full attention, and drives out all of the little daily pressures that can build up. And at the end of the project, there is a visible reward, a solid, tangible product.

I don't know whether I have ever thought so much about it before, but now that I have started to read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance (highly recommended to me by Brian), I am beginning to see how projects are important to the self.

Brian and I built my red Bullit together last autumn; it was the first time that I had built a bike from the ground up, and I find my Bullit more satisfying for having put it together myself.

Our next mutual project is to completely re-invent an old mountain bike that I have been using just to get to the corner shops, etc...It will have to be completely cleaned, stripped of most (if not all) of its parts, and have those same parts replaced. I am, of course, planning to build it into a single speed.

2 comments:

RJ said...

My Tracy,

I like both sites; the most important thing is the transfer of information is the content not how it looks. Most website developers forget about that simple rule and try to make it very exotic or different. So, the information is secondary, and that is why they fail. Content is the critical aspect of you site, not how it looks if you want to electrify or inform your readers keep doing what you do best (write). And, we love the way you write, you are a great writer, forget about how it looks. I would be happy reading your stories on TP.

MR. RJ

RJ said...

My Tracy,

Oh, by the way wrong Blog, but, if you need any parts let me know I have many parts just doing nothing in my apartment.

Mr. RJ