Sunday, July 04, 2010

Final Day

Today's my final day here. I'm mostly happy, but of course, it is a happiness that contains some sadness.

I had thought that my final days would be full of desperate 'lasts', that I'd be eagerly trying to do my favourite things in my favourite places one last time. However, that was not the case at all. I was satisfied that the last time I did something - the last time B and I rode our mountain bikes to the Kogen for a beer on the lawn, the last time I went to my favourite local onsen, etc... - was the last time. I did not need to re-do a new last time in some artificial recreation.

Yesterday, though, we did do a 'last camping coffee' thing. It was not artificial, as it was nothing we've actually done before. B and I set the alarm and got up at 3:00 a.m. and we headed into the mountains where we made fresh roasted and ground coffee on our Coleman stove, using our camping percolator. And then we sat comfortably, and waited for the light of day. There was no sunrise, since it was super foggy/misty, but it was excellent coffee, enjoyed in such a pleasant, quiet atmosphere. We followed our strong coffee with a small nap in the car, before heading back so I could meet final bill collectors.

Today will involve more cleaning, maybe writing a test, and then heading out to Osaka.

No comments: