Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Student Life in Nanba

Nanba is the main, happenin' area in Osaka. And I am living in the heart of it.

I'll admit, all the life is sort of energizing, even as it presents something of an assault on my senses. I walk to my Japanese Language school every day, and while I'd like to listen to an audiobook as I stroll, there is just too much external stimuli to allow me it. In fact, there is so much going on all the time, that even a 'stroll' is not possible - it's always more of a determined march!

However, it's not all teeming life all the time. On Sunday, I went for a longish walk, away from the city center, to Tennoji park, and Shi-Tennoji temple.

[caption id="attachment_181" align="alignnone" width="300" caption="Shi-Tennoji Temple in Osaka"][/caption]

And although you'd think that, since I'm in one of the best places for night life that I'd be out in the bars and clubs every night...but of course not. Being busy with studying Japanese, and trying to stay on an even footing with all the much younger, more studious students, I'm spending a lot of time in my apartment reviewing kanji or procrasting.

However, it's not all work and no play. Attached to my building is a small bar, called, like my building, Melon. It's not an izakaya, but is a western-style place, and because we're slightly away from where all the real stuff is, tucked away on a side-street, the people who go there are regulars. Dimly lit, and with a sort of dingy by cozy atmosphere, I've been there twice, and am already on a first-name basis with the bar tender and two locals who visit there. It's a nice place to relax with a beer, and also to put into practice some of the Japanese I'm supposed to be learning!

Oh, and just for fun - here's my Student Card:
[caption id="attachment_185" align="alignnone" width="300" caption="Student ID"][/caption]

No comments: