Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Wordpress Troubleshooting

Well, we had another little problem with our Japan Rider wordpress installation, and in working on a repair, I managed to lose a month's worth of posts and comments...

I'm sad about that, but will soon work to reconstruct the missing posts, which were really mostly about selling my car, selling my bike, and enjoying a few final weeks in Susono.

Anyway, today I went to log into Japan Rider, and the Admin page was reporting an error which went something like this:

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at ....librestore.php) in japanrider/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 890

So, any normal person would figure the problem was in the pluggable.php file. Not being able to log into control panel, I went in through the backend fia FTP, and snagged the offending file. I opened it in a text editor, and scouted for errors. Didn't see any, but just in case, I uploaded a fresh copy. No success.

Then I thought about the wp-config.php file, which is often the culprit in wordpress errors. Still no luck. So - and this is where I made a mistake - I restored a backup, thinking it would fix the problem, but not realizing that my last backup was more than a month ago, and so I lost the more recent posts. And - it didn't even fix the error!

More research, and I realized the problem was the file in which the error started - namely, in this case, the librestore.php file, about which I actually can find no information. I opened the file, and it was totally empty. Not knowing what it was supposed to contain, I simply took a chance and removed it from the server altogether. Et voila - that worked, and we are back up and running!

I will try to recapture and repost some of the earlier, now missing, posts!

No comments: