Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Isonoura and Kada Beaches in Wakayama

I had initially planned to have a quiet weekend at home, just hanging out and maybe studying. However, the recent heat wave combined with a busy week inspired me instead to hop on the train to Wakayama prefecture, and to the beach!

The train ride was about two hours long, but was very very comfortable, with the biggest leg of the ride being on a nice, reserved train. It was also very affordable, costing less than 3,000 yen round trip.

Once I got to Isonoura beach, I chilled out in the sun with my book, had some chit chat with the old man renting beach umbrellas, and napped a little.

As there are no minshuku or other accommodation anywhere near this beach, I decided to take the train one more stop to the next beach, Kada, where I was lucky enough to get last minute, very affordable accommodation at the Otsuya minshuku.

It's a long story, but the woman running the beer-store/rental shop on this beach is also the local 'travel agent', and she helped get me the place to stay. She was so worried, though, because the Otsuya, she informed me, was old and not pretty/clean. Also, she gasped, the toilets were wa-shiki (Japanese squat type), and would this be okay? I smiled and assured her that, yes, no problem! Luckily, two young guys working there recognized that I was probably Japan travel-saavy, and chimed in laughingly that they were sure I'd be fine.

And I was more than fine - the place was awesome. Quiet, lovely tatami room, with an ocean view. I was especially fortunate, actually, as some Japanese minshuku do not offer rooms for one person; I suppose since they charge by the person, it makes more sense to have only two or more. So I really got lucky here.





Kada beach from my room at Otsuya



Locals' boats just before sunset

Sunset Walk

Although the train ride was pleasant, I missed the luxury of having a car. I have not ridden a train to somewhere like the beach in at least 10 years, if not longer. I'm mostly accustomed to not having a car, especially as I'm in a big city. However, when out of the big city, when you simply want to get to a convenience store that is a few kilometres away, or make your way from one beach to another, or just be able to go somewhere that the train doesn't go - a car makes a huge difference.

No comments: