Sunday, July 11, 2010

My Studies etc.

Last week, I spent four mornings out of five at the ARC Academy langauge school in Osaka. The first day was a placement test. Then Tuesday was a day off. Wednesday was orientation and a first lesson. And then on Thursday we got started in earnest.

I ended up in the Intermediate class - which surprised me a little as I figured I'd be a bit lower, like lower intermediate. But I think in the placement test, my conversation wasn't bad - because I've been here for so long, although my grammar is atrotious, I think I probably speak with confidence and smoothness that the other, technically better speakers, in my class don't have.

What they do have, though, is A LOT more formal training, and therefore far better reading, writing and grammar skills that I lack. And I am feeling that lack as I struggle to keep up. The vocab and grammar are actually okay, it's those damned kanji that have me stumped.

I have to say, though, that most of the other students (18 others in my class) have a distinct advantage - they are mostly Chinese and hence, have been writing kanji since they were toddlers.

Despite needing a lot of kanji work, I'm really enjoying doing the formal studies and think it will help me improve overall.

No comments: